Iowa Translational Vascular Physiology Lab
Lab Mission Statement
The overall mission of the Iowa Translational Vascular Physiology Lab (TVPL) in the Department of Health and Human Physiology is to determine the mechanisms that contribute to the development of vascular dysfunction (e.g.,endothelial dysfunction, arterial stiffness, cerebrovascular dysfunction) and cognitive decline in humans at high risk for cardiovascular diseases (CVD) including persons who are aged, or have obesity, hypertension, prediabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic anxiety or pregnant women at risk for preeclampsia.
- We conduct acute experimental and short-term intervention studies testing the efficacy of pharmacological and lifestyle interventions on vascular structure/ function, autonomic function, cerebrovascular and cognitive funciton in humans at high risk for developing CVD.
- Our lab uses an integrative experimental approach, including non-invasive and semi-invasive approaches to assess vascular endothelial function of peripheral arteries, stiffness and pulsatile hemodynamics of the large central elastic arteries (e.g., aorta, carotids), and cerebrovascualar function (blood flow/reactivity), blood pressure variability and muscle sympathetic nerve activity in human subjects.
- We also study cells/tissues (endothelial cells, mononuclear cells, serum/plasma, arterioles from human adipose biopsies) isolated from subjects and perform complimentary in vitro experiments in endothelial cells to provide insight into the cellular/molecular mechanisms that contribute to baseline vascular dysfunction and in response to the pharmacological and lifestyle interventions.
- Dr. Seth Holwerda receives 2017 Postdoctoral Research Recognition Award from the American Physiological Society Neural Control and Autonomic Regulation (NCAR) section (April 2017)
- Dr. Seth Holwerda, postdoctoral fellow in the TVPL, was awarded a 2-year postdoctoral research fellowship from the American Heart Association starting Jan 1, 2017 (Dec 2016).
- Dr. Pierce presents a progress update on the Iowa Strategically Focused Research Hypertension Network grant at the 2016 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions in New Orleans (Nov 2016)
- Graduate student Lyndsey DuBose and postdoctoral fellow Seth Holwerda receive AFHRE Travel Awards for Clinical Research to present abstracts at the American Heart Association Council on Hypertension Scientific Sessions in Orlando Sept 14-17 (Sept 2016)
- Lab members Lyndsey DuBose, Seth Holwerda and Madalyn Rasor present posters at Experimental Biology meeting in San Diego (April 2016)
- Dr. Gary Pierce elected as a Fellow of American Heart Association (April 2016)
- PhD student Lyndsey DuBose presents research poster at the 2015 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions national meeting in Orlando (Nov 2015)
- Dr. Pierce presents an invited talk at the 26th Annual "Vascular Biology and Hypertension Symposium" at the Univ of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) co-sponsord by the UAB School of Public Health and Department of Medicine, Sept 24-25, 2015. (Sept 2015)
- Dr. Pierce co-chairs the 5th Annual Meeting for the North American Artery Society in Chicago, Sept 11-12, 2015. (Sept 2015)
- Dr. Gary Pierce receives American Heart Association (AHA) grant on preeclampsia as part of the new AHA Strategically Focused Research Network Hypertension Center at U of Iowa with Drs. Curt Sigmund, Justin Grobe, and Mark Santillan (April 28, 2015)
- Undergraduate student and TVPL member Madalyn Rasor receives 2015 STRIDE summer research fellowship from the American Physiological Society (April 20, 2015)
- Dr. Edward Lakatta from the National Institute on Aging and Director of Laboratory for Cardiovascular Science, will present the 8th Annual HHP Louis E. Alley Memorial Seminar on Weds. April 6th @ 3:00 pm (April 4, 2015)
- HHP undergraduate student and TVPL research assistant Ramsan Younatham featured on UI Admissions website as part of #BeBlackandGold campaign (March 2015)
- Dr. Gary Pierce and Dr. Kamal Rahmouni awarded Translational Research Pilot and Feasibility grant from the University of Iowa Center for Hypertension Research (Dec. 17, 2014)
- Dr. Scott Powers to give inaugural Carl V. Gisolfi Health & Human Physiology Seminar on Dec. 12 @1pm (Dec. 2014)
- TVPL members Lyndsey Dubose, Ericka Tank, Steve Harris and Grazi Kalil present posters at the 4th Annual North American Artery meeting in Chicago (Sept 5-6, 2014)
- Gary Pierce gives Pilot & Feasibility Grant update seminar in Diabetes and Obesity Talk seminar series(August 18, 2014)
- Gary Pierce gives invited lecture at the 6th Annual Pulse of Asia meeting in Athens, Greece (June 12-13,2014)
- HHP student and TVPL member Ramsan Younatham awarded 2014 STRIDE undergraduate research fellowship from the American Physiological Society (May 7, 2014)
- Undergraduate HHP student and TVPL member Ericka Tank among awarded one of the 2014 David S. Bruce Excellence in Undergraduate Research Awards at 2014 Experimental Biology Meeting in April (April 30, 2014)
- Dr. Gary Mitchell of the Framingham Heart Study to give 21st Annual Louis Alley Memorial Lecture, Sept. 19 @1pm (August 2013)
- Dr. Pierce gives invited lecture in symposium "Vascular Aging II: Clinical/Translational" at the 20th World Congress of the International Association on Geriatrics and Gerontology in Seoul, S Korea (June 2013)
- HHP student and TVPL member, Ericka Tank, awarded 2013 Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship from American Physiological Society (March 2013)
- "Your finger's pulse holds the key to your heart's health" New technique from UI study uses finger's pulse to measure stiffness in the aorta. (Sept 4, 2013)